Ever had one of those days when your IDE decides to rebel? Today was that day for me in Snap and what it did was lost several of the blocks in the Variables category that I needed to do my Pong. Namely, I lost the ability to set variables and the ability to change them. These were the blocks I lost.This meant I couldn’t track the score or change the speed of the ball (the particular things I was attempting to do when I noticed the blocks had gone missing from the palette). This was highly annoying.
About all I could do was open another Snap in another browser window and rebuild my code. Because exporting to XML and importing back into Snap brought the anemic palette with me.
It took a long time, as I was mostly finished, too. I was struggling with reflections and had finally figured them out (including how to apply what I think is called “English”). And I was to the part of putting in sounds. I got all my sounds from freesound.org which is searchable.
Of course my Pong is baseball-themed—what else would you expect? I use sprites for all the edges because I know how to easily test for that and play a sound when sprites touch (and I heard there was a glitch with other kinds of detection and rather than explore them, I figured I’d be lazy). I don’t know if my sprites need to be as big as I make them, but I’ve noticed that size does not equate to pixels, but to “steps” and (again) I’m too lazy to figure it out.
On the off-chance someone messes with my field, when the green flag is clicked, I put things in their places. I uncheck the box at the top of each sprite for draggability but that might not stop someone who is determined. Here’s a screenshot of the pregame.
You can see it here. Don’t know that I’m off hiatus, but I may be.